Monday, January 28, 2013

The Song of the Sibyl

I'm still running.

With that two thousand dollars, I was able to actually afford going to motels and eating meals and stuff. I was staying in one last night. It wasn't the best motel, but it was cheap and that meant I could save more and spend less. You never know when you might need money and not have any.

I haven't encountered any Grayskins after last time, but that didn't mean I stopped looking out for them. I keep my extra-special noise-cancelling headphones right next to my pillow. I can't hear a goddamn thing with them on.

That doesn't stop the dreams, though. They started last week.

I'm in a graveyard. I standing atop one large headstone. I am holding in my hands a violin made of bone, with strings made of sinew. I take the bow with one hand and start playing the violin. I know what song it is: it's the Danse Macabre, the Dance of the Dead. I play better than I have ever played before and as I do, I notice the hands emerging from the graves, skeletal hands, some with bits of cloth or flesh still attached.

I am playing the Danse Macabre and I am bring the dead back to life. They rise from their graves and start dancing around me, twirling around each other, spinning on one bony leg each, and then, finally, they all genuflect under the moonlight at me.

I stop playing the violin. I look down at the dead and I can feel a smile on my face. I raise the violin and the bow and I begin to play again. This time, I am the one who begins to dance. I dance among the dead and they dance with me.

And suddenly I realize: I am one of them. I am one of the dead.

Which is when I wake up.

I know what you're thinking. I heard tales back when I was staying at Lyron's house about a Nightmare Fear, but I don't think it's that. The dream doesn't hurt, I never feel like I won't wake up. I'm never scared during the dream, even though I probably should be. If anything, the dream feels...prophetic. Which is what worries me.

1 comment:

  1. Your description of the dream...it reminds me so much of that old cartoon from the 80's they would air on TV.

    It obviously has connection because that short cartoon served as a sort of "Music Video" for Danse Macabre.

    It almost has the same scenario as your dream, a statue comes to life, plays the violin, the dead skeletons start to rise and dance. But in the end, when the sun started to rise, the Statue creature was much more powerful then the skeletons, he possessed the great power to make skeletons levitate in the air like rag dolls.

    Once the sun started to rise, the skeletons went back into their graves and the creature turned back into a statue.

    Maybe this dream wasn't trying to say that your one of the creatures, maybe it wanted to say that you had a certain power.

    Just guesses.

    - Mr. Incognito.

    ReplyDelete