Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Note You Never Wrote

Another day, another bus ride, another trip to another city.

Here's something you may not know about the Choir: they can cause hallucinations. I know what you're thinking: "Surely you mean auditory hallucinations, since they only manipulate sound?" No and don't call be Shirley.

Have you ever heard of infrasound? It's sound on frequencies lower than 20 Hz. Normally, it doesn't have any affect on humans, but increase the sound pressure and you get something that causes uneasy feelings in people. And when I say "uneasy feelings," let me just quote that Wikipedia article: "anxiety, uneasiness, extreme sorrow, nervous feelings of revulsion or fear, chills down the spine and feelings of pressure on the chest." So yeah, there's that.

So this stuff supposedly is what causes "hauntings" (so you can blame the Choir for all those stupid Ghost Hunters type shows). But guess what happens when the infrasound is on the same resonant wavelength as the human eye? Well, it creates optical illusions, that's what.

I've experienced these hallucinations. You think it's bad hearing people insult you? Just imagine seeing a crowd of people surround you and berate you, all your friends and family, everyone you love telling you just how worthless you are. Just how they wouldn't care if you died, if you killed yourself right then and there.

I honestly don't know how I survived. It was afterward that I realized the white noise trick: don't hear anything, don't listen to anyone. Block out the world and they can't hurt you. Well, mentally, that is. They can still hurt you physically. Hence the running.

So next time you're all alone and break out into a cold sweat, just think about this.

11 comments:

  1. Oh hey, the more you know! I think I could do this myself! Want me to test it on you to find out?

    ~INSANITY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go right ahead. As long as you don't mind me lighting up the old propane torch and burning your face off.

      Delete
    2. Challenge accepted. Remind me if we ever cross paths.

      ~INSANITY

      Delete
  2. That sounds horrible. Maybe there's a way to communicate with these hallucinations/the Choir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you can communicate with them. But I don't think it matters what you say to them, they just want to see you suffer.

      Delete
  3. This brings back way too many memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it does, at least you can rule out the Blind Man on the list of Fears you have encountered.

      Delete
    2. Let us hope it stays that way. I'm quite comfortable in my current location, too, and I'd hate to have to move.

      I'll probably have to leave eventually, though. Bugs and fungi have a habit of coming back to screw up one's life, and unfortunately I've encountered eldritch versions of both.

      Delete
    3. The solution to both, thankfully, is fire. Doesn't solve it? You just need more fire.

      Delete
    4. Well, I tried that. It worked the first few times... until they adapted.

      Delete
    5. It's time like these where I thank fate that I'm a servant to them and don't have to deal with this as I try and help others.

      Delete