Thursday, October 18, 2012

When the World Is Running Down, You Make the Best of What's Still Around

One of the dangers of running: sometimes you just can't find a place to sleep on the money you have (I'm pretty sure all my credit cards would be declined right about now). If I wanted to, I bet I could have found a homeless shelter, but I was so tired and cold and the bench was comfortable, so I closed my heavy eyelids and let the world fall away.

I woke up when someone tapped me in the shoulder. I looked up at the face of a policeman, his uniform a crisp blue, with brass buttons. He motioned for me to take off the headphones and I did.

"Hello, officer," I said. "Is there a problem?" It pays to be nice to the police, especially if they could run you through their database and find you are a known arsonist.

"You're going to die here," he said.

I stopped. I had heard him correctly, I knew. He hadn't said that, but I had heard it. His lips hadn't even been out of sync.

"Sorry?" I said.

"I said you can't sleep here," he said.

"Ah," I said. "Okay, sorry. I didn't mean to. I just am waiting for a bus."

"Buses don't run this late," he said. He looked at me, my backpack, my laptop. I didn't look like a homeless person - what homeless person has a laptop? - but I didn't look like someone just nonchalantly waiting for the bus. I looked like what I was: a runner.

The policeman took out his notepad, wrote something on it, and then ripped it off and handed it to me. "Here," he said, "there's a place where you can sleep. It's not far."

"Thanks," I said taking the slip of paper. Could I trust him? His words had been twisted in the beginning - were they being twisted still? Was I being led into a trap?

The policeman tapped on the top of his notepad with his pen thoughtfully and then said, "I can give you a ride if you want."

I took a look at the paper. "No," I said, "I can walk. Thanks anyway."

I got up and slipped the paper into my pocket. I would go in the direction of the shelter - if that was what the address was - but I wouldn't go in. I'd find somewhere else. 

"I don't want to find you sleeping here again," the policeman said as I walked away. "Loitering is still illegal here."

"I understand," I said.

I slipped my headphones back up over my ears and didn't look back.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me try this again, laptop.

      Why don't you check out the place and see what you can find?

      Delete